Wednesday, March 5, 2008

5 Years Down....A Lifetime To Go.

Where did the time go? Randy and I will be celebrating our 5th Anniversary tomorrow, and we can hardly believe it. It seems just like yesterday that Randy was helping me move into the apartment just upstairs from him....

The couch was the very last thing to unload from the moving truck and carry up a flight of stairs. And much to my dad's relief, out from the downstairs apartment, came a very handsome man who asked "can I help?". I quickly said "no, thanks" but Dad said "that would be great". Once I saw how much work it took to get my big, bulky couch up the flight of stairs, I'm really thankful that we took Randy up on his offer. As a way of thanking Randy for lending us his muscles, Dad said that he owed him a drink. My parents conveniently departed back home to IL the following AM, without having taken Randy out for that drink. Therefore, my dad left it up to me....and since I was currently dating someone else, I never got around to following through on Dad's "beer of appreciation". Dad never liked any of the guys I dated. But there was something about Randy....Dad asked me every day for an entire year if I had taken Randy out for that he drink he'd promised him for helping us move in....and my answer was always "no" until....

We crossed paths in the halls of the school that we both attended. After a brief chat (and Randy finding out that I enjoyed watching college football--every guy's dream) and a couple of days later, he mustered up enough courage to knock on my door the following Saturday afternoon....and he's been around ever since. :-)

Did Dad ever end up following through with that drink he promised Randy? The answer is "yes"...and it was during our wedding reception that Dad said "....and this is the most expensive drink he's ever bought".


This is the best digital pic I could find...sorry.

Our second year of marriage involved a move to VA so that Randy could pursue a career in medicine. Nothing too exciting happened...except that we had to learn how to stay "connected" while not seeing a whole lot of each other.

Pic of us at the White Coat Ceremony

During our third year, we were blessed with the opportunity to participate in a medical mission to Kenya. It such an amazing experience, especially since we were able to share in the experience together.



During year four, we expanded our family and welcomed Josiah. He was born on August 13, 2006 at 4:11PM (after 8 hours of labor and 4 hours of pushing). We can't imagine our lives without him...and it just amazes us that we'll be welcoming another kiddo in just a few short weeks.

Family pic taken 6 days after Josiah was born.

And year five....well, nothing too significant happened. However, we did take our first family vacation to Virginia Beach. Josiah loved the sand, and I loved running in my first half marathon.


We are looking forward to tomorrow afternoon when we'll be going on our first date since Josiah was born. We are planning on catching a movie, "Vantage Point", and eating out at a Japanese Steakhouse (I may have to indulge in some of the veggie only sashimi/sushi/rolls).

Thank you, Randy, for making the last 5 years so wonderful! I love you.


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations on 5 years! That is so very exciting.

All of the pictures of you guys are so good. I can't believe that in a few weeks you will have pictures of the four of you.

I still think you should post something about your first kiss.

Colin & Lori said...

That is such a sweet story. I love that you put it on your blog to share with us. Five years sure flies by and before you know it it will have been 10. Wow, that sounds like a long time to be with the same person but it does go so quickly, especially when adding kids into the mix. Congratulations!!