Sunday, May 18, 2008

We're on Our Own

We said "Good-bye" to my mom yesterday after spending the last two weeks with us. I can't even begin to say how much we appreciated all that she did for us. She helped keep Josiah occupied while I nursed Alayna, did at least 2 loads of laundry EVERY day (she was amazed at how much laundry we do), helped prepare meals and think of meals that would utilize everything that we have stored in our freezers, as well as burp Alayna after feedings (Mom has the special touch....and Alayna seems to be much more difficult to burp than Josiah). Mom also made a million trips to WalMart because we could never get our stuff together to come up with just one list. AND then there's all of the packing she helped me with. Mom is known in our family as the "Master Packer". When Dad says that there is just no more room...Mom ALWAYS finds a way to get everything packed. And while I like to think that I did receive that specific "packing gene", Mom can do a much better job.
So now we're on our own. It was equally as hard to say "good-bye" this time around as it was the first time (she spent two weeks with us when Josiah was born). However, I feel much more confident about raising my children now. With Josiah, I remember thinking, "what am I doing? I don't know how to do this." And while there are still times, 21 months later, when I think the same thoughts, I'm not getting too bent out of shape about it, kids are pretty resilient (although the real person to ask is Randy). :-)

Thanks, Mom, for all your help. I would not feel as confident as I do being a mother if I hadn't had you to "show me the ropes". :-) See you in a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

Colin & Lori said...

Mom's are the best aren't they!?