Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hello, Dolly!

We expected to see some hurricane activity this year. After all, we did move to the Gulf Coast. I just didn't expect to have to prepare to "see" one so soon into the Hurricane Season.

It was just brought to my attention YESTERDAY, by a friend's mom (not by folks living here or by our local news), that Tropical Storm Dolly was headed our way. You see, since we have little people in our home, the TV is automatically set to the Disney Channel, Noggin or PBS, and then by the end of the day when the little people are asleep, the last thing I want on is the TV. So I thought it was kind of funny that someone, who doesn't live here, had to tell me about a weather phenomenon that was headed our direction.

So, I decided to take the kids to the store this morning to purchase a few items. Nothing is worse than having to run to the store last minute--in the rain--with 2 small children. We didn't purchase anything too exciting, just enough to keep our bellies full (crackers, water, nuts), the kids' bottoms dry (diapers and wipes), and Josiah occupied (I thought a few puzzles would be fun--he's never done them before).

Dolly is expected to make landfall as at least a Category 1 Hurricane sometime tomorrow and somewhere south of Brownsville. No mandate to evacuate has been released...so that's good news. Just pray that all we experience is moderate winds and lots of rain...no flooding, no power outtage, no water ban.

I'll let you know how it was once the "right" side passes.

3 comments:

abby and jacob said...

Jessie I was thinking about you guys when I saw the map. I hope everything goes well and you do not have to leave. We will be praying for you guys.

Tamara

Bronson Clan said...

I have totally been meaning to put together my "hurricane kit" since I've gotten here to Florida, but I still haven't! My next trip out I will have to do that before we get any hurricanes here. Bleh. Good luck with yours there, I'm sure everything will be okay.

Colin & Lori said...

Love the new look! Way to go trying out cloth diapers. they remind me of my little brothers. I have changed Jack to Luvs too. They have improved and I don't choke quite as much when I buy them. I am going all out for the baby until I see if he blows out like Mia did or has more control like Jackson. If he is more controlled I will go to Luvs for him too. I am not brave like you but kudos.